As the leaves turn golden and the air carries a hint of autumn crispness, Thanksgiving tables are set with anticipation for a feast shared with loved ones. For those embracing a ketogenic lifestyle, finding dishes that align with dietary needs while still capturing the essence of this cherished holiday can be a challenge. Enter the Creamy Keto Cauliflower and Turnip Mash, a dish that beautifully bridges this gap. This recipe transforms humble vegetables into a rich, indulgent side dish without compromising your keto goals. The combination of cauliflower and turnips, when melded with creamy sour cream, unsalted butter, and a touch of half & half, results in a mash that’s not only low in carbs but also high in the essential nutrients and flavors that define a Thanksgiving meal. Infused with garlic and onion powder and garnished with fresh parsley, this dish promises to be a delightful surprise to your family’s taste buds. It’s a testament to how keto-friendly options can be both health-conscious and heartwarming, making it a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving spread.
1 ea Cauliflower
1 lb Turnips, peeled and diced
1 cup Sour cream
2 ea Bay leaf
½ cup Unsalted butter
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
¼ cup Half & half
¼ cup Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the butter on medium heat until dark brown about 7-8 minutes. Reserve 2 tbsp of the butter and set aside to be used later as a garnish.
- Rinse the cauliflower and chop it into florets. Peel the turnips and chop them into large manageable chunks. In a large pot, cook the cauliflower and turnips in boiling water, with the bay leaves and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until done, about 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain the vegetables well, remove and discard the bay leaves. Add the cauliflower and turnips to the food processor and pulse until desired mashed consistency is reached, or until smooth.
- Return the mashed cauliflower and turnips to the large pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to steam off the extra water. Careful not to brown.
- Remove the mashed mixture from the heat and stir in the sour cream, half and half, brown butter, sour cream, garlic powder, and onion powder. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley and drizzle with the reserved brown butter.
- Serve immediately.